We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spring is in the air...

More work on Vita. Its starting to get to that temperature where I feel guilty if I don't accomplish something.

I took a couple of pictures of the puller I made to take off the prop. Just in case someone was curious. Again, 5/16" plate and 1/2" rod. I think the sides were around 4 3/4", long.





I also made my first tool bag for the boat. I wanted something tough, but small enough that I could slide it into some tight hole for storage. So the following is what I came up with. I made the buttons out of oak dowel, the zipper just came from the local sewing shop, the rope was left over polyester 3 strand from my sail kits, and the bag is made from marine canvas. I'll try it for a while and see how it works. Right now it is carrying my sockets and wrenches. Its 16"x6"x4".


Serena and I managed to get the cutlass bearing out yesterday, but I forgot my camera at home, so I will make a post with pictures when we put it back together. It was a pain in the butt, however it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it might me.

I also started looking at my anchors, because I realized that I wasn't 100% sure what they were. I noticed in an old post that I had wrote one thing, and then on the Bayfield news group I had put something else. So yesterday I weighed them, and tried to figure out exactly what they were.

The stern anchor was easy, its written right on the anchor. It is a Danforth S920, which is a 14 lb anchor. However, when I weighed it, it was only 12 lbs. Perhaps not the best scale, so that may account for the difference.

The primary anchor I thought was a 45 lb CQR. Well, it weighed in at just barely over 40 lbs, and I don't think it is a CQR. It is a hinged plow (CQR type), but I think it is a knock-off. Its probably sold as a 45 lb anchor, because the only 40 lb plow type I can find is a Mason, and it doesn't look anything like the one I have.

The secondary anchor is a 25 lb, and it weighs exactly 25 lbs. I think it may be a CQR, either that or a very good copy and is still a nice little anchor. I read an article online that said anything less than 25 lbs in a hinged plow type anchor was useless. Apparently these things need weight to work properly.

I also weighed the chain just for the hell of it. The secondary has 30 feet of 1\4" HT, that weighs in at around 25 lbs, and the primary has a 130 feet of 1/4" HT weighing in at around 100 lbs. So a quick tally shows the weight of ground tackle on the bow including the 25 lb Lofrans Royal Windlass, is,,,, 215 lbs. Not bad really. I suppose there will be a little more added weight with the 450 feet of 1/2" 3 strand nylon rode as well. But hey, it all still weighs less than I do.

Until next update.

Rob

2 comments:

  1. I copied your prop puller design, used 1/2 steel plate and 3/8 in bolts...just fit in the aperture.
    ...worked like a charm on my Bayfield 29

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, are you close by so I can borrow it. ha ha ha lol... I seemed to have misplaced mine. It is probably on the boat somewhere. Time for a new cutlass this year. Every 4 or 5 thousand miles.

      Cheers.

      Delete