We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Progress ... That's what they call it....

Okay, I know I said that I would take pictures when I put the cutlass back together. And it looks like I lied... Sorry.

It's not that I didn't intend to, but everything just happened so quick, and I was so short of time that I just didn't get it.

It went well though. I installed the cutlass bearing at home into the stern tube, cut it off with a hacksaw and then ground it flush. Tapped it back out after marking the spots where the set screws go, drilled a little dimple in each side, and then put it back in. Added some locktite to the set screws and put them in. All done.

I replaced the packing in the compression nut. I went with the teflon, looking for a little tougher seal. cleaned everything with a anti-rust stuff, and got it ready for installation today.

I put everything back together at the boat, and Serena gave me a hand to get the screws into the stern tube. Turns out one bolt needs to be slightly larger than the other, so the threads didn't quite hit the nylon lock on the nut. Its okay though, the one we took off was just a regular nut, but with a little bottom paint, it should stay put.

Added some anti-seize to the set screws on the shaft coupling for the engine. These were a pain to get out, and one of the other Bayfields in the club hasn't been able to remove one. I don't want to be in that position. Its wired up so that it can't move anyway.

I still have to tighten the clamps that hold the rubber hose for the packing gland, and I bought the wrong size cotter pin for the prop nut, but otherwise, she is ready to go. I used 4200 sealant around the stern tube and bolts. I will definitely be removing this again. Probably sooner than later. There was some wear on the shaft from the packing gland and the cutlass, and even after installing the new cutlass bearing, there is a slight movement in the shaft. I can foresee that we will probably be replacing the shaft in the next couple of years. Fingers crossed that it lasts a long time though.

Then I put a third coat of paint on the hull stripes. Using red to cover up dark brown is taking a lot of paint. Hopefully 4 coats will do it. I actually have a couple of pictures of the paint, but I don't have the camera handy, go figure. next time.

Until next time.

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment