We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Collage

Sort of... I am just making a blog entry from the pictures that are in the camera, because I am off to the boat for a couple of days to get some more work done.

I went to Pride Marine in Kingston yesterday, my batteries were in, picked some more paint, a Raymarine ST40 knotlog (yep, I broke down), and a few other little things. Man this stuff adds up fast. It was a somber ride home. Good news is that most of the major expenses are now done. I hope...

 The depth sounder thru hull. A Raymarine ST40. My only headache with this is that I had to remove the old thru hull socket, and permanently mount this one. Sucks if I ever have to remove it, but that's what came in the box. Turns out it wouldn't have mattered though, as the Raymarine insert is different than the old SR Mariner. Now with my recent acquisition of the knot log, I will have to put that one in too. However it came with a removable sensor and socket. 
 This is just a picture of some dents in the hull I am attempting to fair out. The hull was actually in really good shape for being 30 years old. I just have to sand them down before I start the epoxy work.
 Here is a pic of the cutlass replacement, the only one I have, and all it shows is there is nothing there. How exciting.
I took the wooden steps from the stern ladder home, sanded them down and started putting Cetol Marine on them. I finished the third coat this morning, and I will put 3 coats of Cetol gloss on later to further protect them. Nicest thing about Cetol, no sanding.
 The next few pics are from painting the hull stripes. One above, is the first coat on the port side. The next two are the third coat on the starboard side.

 Using 2x6s and wedges to help steady the hull, as the pads are not really touching. Unfortunately with this cradle, the pads are right on the waterline, which is also getting painted. I am going to cut up the cradle after lift in and make the four corners into jack stands. They will be easier to handle that way, and I can move them in a little more. I find that if the pads are sitting on gelcoat then they tend to increase blistering.
And here we are, four coats and the tape removed. Vita has racing stripes. Jimmy says that racing stripes on a  Bayfield is an oxymoron, hard to argue that one. I need to wait a few days before I tape off the little 1" white stripe that runs through the middle of the big red stripe. I don't want the glue from the tape to ruin the finish on of the red, so it needs to be well cured.
 This is what I found after removing port trailboard. The holes in the bow are there for access to the bolts that hold the bowsprit. I though that they were put in there by a previous owner, but I'm told that all the Bayfields have them. However, mine were leaking because a previous owner used silicone to seal them up. When are people going to learn that household silicone has no place on a boat, especially on the outside. That's why they make all those neat, really expensive marine sealants. One of the other Bayfields in the club has the trailboards sealed all around the outside, but that scares me a little because if water does get in there, there is no way for it to get out, and lets face, water seams to have a way of getting in anywhere it wants.
So my solution was to ground out a 3/16" recession all around each hole, and use 3M 4200 to seal in a couple of aluminum plates. Easy enough to remove, but keeps the water out. Then I will put a dab of 4200 on each of the screw holes before I put the trailboard back on. Seals the screw, and leaves enough air behind the trailboard that I won't have to worry about water being trapped in there.

This week I will finish off the red painting of the water line. Tape out the 1" white stripe, put the trailboard back on, install the knot log, sand and start finishing the bow sprit. Maybe start designing the nav station, the galley, fix the cockpit cubby I tore apart in the fall because it was saturated with water, and glass in a shelf above the stern tube to mount the starting battery. Wow,,, that sounds like a lot. I get done what I get done, and maybe I'll remember to take pictures. ha ha

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment