We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Splash Down... Vita is wet again.

We didn't sleep last night. Nerves I guess. Our little girl was heading to the water today. I was a little concerned, but fairly confident that everything would be fine. The only issues were a couple of small leaks, one in the exhaust, and one in the lower part of the bilge. The one in the bilge is from the drain plug in the side of the keel. Its not leaking enough water to fill a tea spoon in 2 hours, so not critical. The engine leak is from the drain in the exhaust can, only leaks when the boat engine is running, and easy to fix, really easy in fact.
 Splash down.
 Proud Papa.
 Home to the slip.
 And this is the dumbass look. The leak in the exhaust is no leak. The drain is reversed in its operation. So when it is closed, it is actually open, and when its opened, it is actually closed. Figured that out after I removed the drain and started playing with it. Below it is in my hand. Someone told me not to tell anyone, but I told them that I tell everyone about my screw ups in the hopes that someone else will be spared the embarrassment. Anyway, I sprayed a liter of water into my bilge motoring to the dock. And, to add to the insult, the stuffing box was too tight, and the boat wasn't in the water long enough for water to get up inside the packing gland, so it was smoking a little after the trip. It got a little warm.
Other than that, all looks good. But I am exhausted from the work up, early days yesterday and today, and the pain in my knees, from blowing them out 2 weeks ago. I just need some down time. I am so baked I can't even sleep, so I think I'll curl up with a cold beer and a book.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment