We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Solar Panel Mounts

Well, this day started out awesome. As you can see in the picture, I designed and built my T-bar solar mounts. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, fumble fingers may have fubar'd one of the solar panels. The sacrificial wood under the frame slipped out of place as the drill bit came through and the bit caught the back of the panel. Its too early to tell whether or not it is ruined, but I had a $500.00 cry in the garage anyway, just because. And I was being so damn careful too..... If it is ruined I can't even get a replacement, because they don't make them anymore, so I probably have to get two, and mount this one somewhere else. Serena was not happy, but neither was I. Sucks feeling like a failure, especially an expensive one. To top it all off, later in the afternoon, I decided to bend my 7/8" stainless steel bimini frames, using the method explained to me at the boat show. I am still not exactly sure what happened, I think perhaps my radius was too small, but one of the frames kinked really badly. The second one turned out fine, but I am going to have to put in some corner supports in the first one. It might be cheaper to get another piece of steel and try again. Just don't know if I am feeling that brave.

The mounts worked out really well though. They are completely adjustable as you can see in the pictures below. I got the idea from a gentleman named Jim Platz. He is another Bayfield 29 owner, and had already designed and installed a T-bar solar panel mount. He was kind enough to send me pictures of his setup so that I could figure out a way to make mine, and this is the result.
 Goes fully vertical. And rotates around that axis 360 deg.
 The secret is these adjustable clamps with a rubber insert. They hold the panel rigid, but allow it to pivot when loosened. Notice I had to cut some 3/16" plates to hold them though, as the edge frame on the solar panel was not wide enough. I may have to eventually build an entire frame underneath, but I'll try this for now.
 Sit nicely horizontal. The support bar on 45 deg angle here has a 1 1\4" stainless slide with a set screw at the main support pole position that allows it to slide up and down but to be locked in when positioned properly.



 I had to drill and put a bolt through the center of the T fitting, as it needed to be permanently fastened. The pivot point is at the nylon adjustable clamps. But the T fitting is 1", and the main support is 1 1/4". This allows the whole panel and T bar to rotate inside of the main support tube. Its not a perfect fit, but a thin piece of plastic down in the tube shims it out perfectly so that there is little to no play, but still moves.
 A deck swivel hinge is used at the front of the panel to attach the angled support. The second one was broken out of the box, so I'll have to get a replacement from Marine Outfitters next time I am there.
 The slide fitting below.
I will use round 1" bases through bolted to the deck utilizing a sleeved 1" stainless tube for a base, and then U-bolt the main support to the pushpit on the boat.

Overall I am very happy with the mounts. I really hope that the second solar panel is okay. The bimini frame should be okay with some corner supports. I'll put that one at the back. On to new things tomorrow, hopefully a productive and mistake free day.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you find the clamps? Mine broke off and need new ones!- justinmhh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    Just came cross your blog nicely done, can you please let me where can I buy these adjustable clamps with a rubber insert? Thank you
    Joe
    onefreesoul@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself..
    portable solar panels

    ReplyDelete