We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Friday, August 9, 2013

We’re Away!


It’s seems like forever in the coming, but we finally got off the dock yesterday, the 8th of August, 2013. Mind you, it was 4:00 in the afternoon before we made that jump; desperately trying to get some last minute things done before departure. Our son, Stein, came to see us off, and many of our friends at the yacht club were there to wish us well. I didn’t feel it at the time, because I was so focused on getting started, but later on it hit, and it was hard to accept that we were saying goodbye to so many good people, our family, and the life we have had for so many years, to embark on something totally new. We know, however, that life is short, and absences even shorter. Ten months will go by so fast that when we come home, it will be as if we had just returned from a quiet afternoon sail.

There was very little wind, and we sailed as long as we could before firing up the iron jib. We wanted to make it to Sandy Cove before dark, and Stein and Kristen were going to drive out to Massasauga Point to see us. Shortly after the Belleville bridge, I decided to check the stuffing box to make sure it wasn’t getting too hot, and found the shift linkage was disconnected. So I manually took the transmission out of gear. Situation fixed, linkage reconnected, on to Sandy Cove. Anchoring turned out to be simple, as we had never anchored this boat with this gear before. I just kept reminding myself what Larry told me, “there are no emergencies on a sailboat, just situations that need immediate attention”. Of course, I modified that a little to, “nothing happens fast on a sailboat”, which I think several other people have told me, including my friends Don and Tracy. So I slowly walked back and calmly asked Serena to refrain from texting while backing down on the anchor.



Had a great visit with the kids, went for a swim, and ate the delicious chilli that Serena made on the way down. The night was uneventful, quiet with only a few Mosies trying to spoil the party. Had a good sleep until 05:55 when Serena asked me what time it was. Seems she thought I was up, well I was then. But I fooled her and quickly fell back to sleep until 8:00, why rush, I’m sick of rushing.



Got off well, the anchor was dug in. Serena cooked a nice bacon, eggs, and toast breakfast. Now I know rebuilding the galley was a smart thing. When the cook looks forward to cooking, life is great. Now we are motoring for Kingston, the wind is deftly eluding us for the moment, so we are a power boat, just don’t tell Vita, she is oblivious to such things.


Some days just make you glad you are alive…..

9 Aug 2013

Woohoo, free wifi at the dock, how can life be better. We are spending the evening at Collins Bay Marina in Kingston, after a 10 hour slog listening to the diesel. It was good though, because I am becoming more comfortable with the old iron jib. For instance, I found out today that the sweet spot is 2500 rpm, but you can't get there unless the throttle is maxed. That also gives us 5 kts, which is pretty good for a 13 horse diesel pushing somewhere in the neighborhood of 10500 lbs. The wind hid from us all day, and when it did show itself, it was straight out of the east. We finally got some nice winds as we turned into the mouth of Collins Bay, too little, too late.

At one point in the afternoon we were directly in front of the Upper Gap heading out to Lake Ontario. It was hot, and sunny, and the water looked oh so refreshing. So what the hell, we shut off the engine, got our suits on, and went for a dip in 170 feet of water. Oh, was it nice. And the water is so clean and clear in comparison to our home in the Bay of Quinte. And, try as I might, I couldn't touch bottom. Had a nap, and practiced my guitar on the bow while Serena took the helm. She couldn't hear me over the engine, but the seagulls and cormorants seemed to enjoy it. What a great day.

Ate dinner at the Pasta Shelf. Sorry Pat and Jack, we would have called, but we weren't even sure we would make it ourselves having got into Kingston so late. Tomorrow we fuel up, go shopping at Marine Outfitters, and head for Gananoque to meet up with our Daughter and her boyfriend. The weather man promises me fair winds and following seas for tomorrow, and he is running out of chances.

Rick, I am sorry about the gel-coat. You did a fabulous job, and I messed it all up. Turns out my shoes are not non-marking. So Serena has decreed that they are to be deposited in the trash bin tomorrow before we leave. Lord I hope Marine Outfitters has something in my size, otherwise I am going to be barefoot. Ha ha, funny funny, I heard that Mike.

Anyway, time for bed, tomorrow is another long day, and my back is all screwed up from the last couple of days of prep work.

Look out world, here we come..........


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on casting off the dock lines. We've been out here for coming up on a month now and we're loving the new life.

    Be careful what time you go through Kingston today. There's a poker run on today, and all the go fast boats are supposed to be roaring out of here at around 1000, headed to gas docks east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Rick. We are heading out a little late this morning anyway, due to a Marine Outfitters shopping trip.

      Delete
  2. Hey guys!! Good luck and safe travels. I am going to read your blog when ever I have wifi and hopefully we will meet up down south! Take care Gary and Christelle

    ReplyDelete