We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

New Winches

Yes I am made of money, I grow it in my back yard.... Ugghhh....

Today we went down to Kingston to my favorite chandlery, Pride Marine, which is no longer Pride, but Marine Outfitters. And if I say it enough I'll get used to the name, but I am going to be a slow convert. It was for good reason they changed their name though.

Anyway, goal, buy seacocks and thru hulls to replace all of the holes below the waterline. Resin, odds and sods. Well, we had to order all of the seacocks and thru hulls, and a few other things. We did however end up coming home with 2 new self-tailing winches. I checked the shopping list, but couldn't find them anywhere.

I had wanted a set of STs for the cockpit, but they are expensive, and the bases seem to be much larger than the Lewmar 7s that came with the boat. In other words they didn't fit. Also, I wanted a set of Lewmar 7s on the mast for halyards. I asked about the 7s, and they don't stock them because they can get them overnight when they order, okay, for future reference. Then I noticed these cute little ST winches on the shelf, they looked about the right size. After some research we found they have twice the power of the Lewmar 7's and the mounting holes are almost identical. And just to make the whole deal sweeter, they are discontinued, these are the last two, and on "clearance", my favorite word.

So, I introduce you to Vita's new staysail sheet winches. Harken Classic 16STs. $429 ea, plus Harper's cut. Not bad considering the same equivalent from Lewmar is $600 clams.


Can't wait to get them installed and play with them.

So, now that I don't get my seacocks until the 25 Oct, I guess I will be doing things in a slightly different order. Tommorrow finish the epoxy and a coat of bottom paint on the old boot stripe. Then onto the new boot stripe. Plus whatever else I find the time to do.

Later

1 comment:

  1. Winches have a number of different uses, from pulling in sails on a sailing boat, to hauling vehicles out of compromising situations. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete