We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Shake Down Cruise

How much can you learn about a sailboat in 6 days motoring up a river, especially when there is no way to put the sails up(mast down). Tons!! I would bet that Lynn and Larry Pardey would argue with me, however comfort in a sailboat is paramount when attempting a long cruise. Don't get me wrong, sailing is very important too, but if you can't find a comfortable place to sit, or a nice place to lay down and get some rest, or the galley counter top is so low that you need to preheat your back with Robaxacet before cutting up some carrots for dinner, your happy cruise is not going to be very happy. So, as much about a little relax time as anything else, we headed up the Trent River for 3 days, and then spent 3 days coming back. We wanted to live on the boat, and perform basic functions like cooking, sleeping, going to the bathroom, brushing our teeth, and engaging in other extra circular activities that make for a healthy and happy adult relationship, like eating and drinking beer...

So we came up with the list. A whole list of things that we had to change before we move aboard. I'll try and remember most of them. I have the list around here somewhere.

1. Change the head. Our head is a Jabsco, and it hates us. Just when you think you have the trick figured out, it changes how it wants to be used. Also, I tried every kind of lubricant known to man, and I couldn't get the pump to stop squealing. Lavac, here I come. I have to re-plumb it with a Y-valve anyway so that when we are in the middle of nowhere, we are not trapped with our feces.

2. Change the settees. They are uncomfortable as hell. I need to modify them so that they are as comfortable to sit on as a couch, and still make good beds.

3. Re-plumb the water. Our pressure water comes from our two 40 gallon tanks, but pressure water eats up the fresh water too quickly. So, I decided to put outside water through the pressure system, and install manual pumps for the fresh.

4. The Galley countertop is too low, and too hard on the back. We are going to gut the galley, raise it 4 inches, install a larger sink, a stove with an oven, and a custom built refrigerator to keep the beer cold.

5. Need seating in the cockpit. Again, looking for couch like comfort, plus a couple of folding plastic seats with backs for near the helm, that way we can see over the cabin roof without standing up, and we are not in the way of the main sheet traveler, which likes to throw me on the floor every once in awhile.

6. TV. We need tv. Okay, we want TV, semantics. For rainy days, news and weather.

7. A shower. There is a grate in the bathroom, and some room under the floor for a tank. We will use a modified garden sprayer for pressure, and heat water on the stove, but it is better than nothing.

8. Fans, we need cabin fans, if only to get the smell of my socks out of the boat as quick as possible. Or most likely to keep us from boiling in our own sweat on those hottest of hot days.

Wow, I thought there was more than that, but since I can't seem to find that damn list, that was all that comes to mind. There are a pile of other upgrades and new equipment as well, but I'll talk about them later, as I get around to it. But they include a complete new system for ground tackle, new sails, new rigging, new bottom(epoxy barrier coat and bottom paint), rewire the entire boat, solar panels and charging system, new electronics, dinghy modification, and even more stuff. I don't know how I am going to get it all done before the end of May next year, but at least I don't have a pesky job to get in the way. So, I look at the title of the blog, and I am trying to figure out how this simplicity thing is supposed to work again. Because this list doesn't seem so simple. However, in our defense, we are not adding a lot of things to the boat that others say we can't live without, like Single Side Band radio, or radar, or ..... Well I am sure there are other things. The boat will be complex, but probably a little simpler than most. We are getting older, and discomfort becomes more and more difficult to live with, with age. If we were in our twenties, we would have bought the Alberg 30, and headed south this year. Or maybe a bathtub..

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment