We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Time to Blog


Where does one find the time? Seriously, there is so much to talk about, and so little time to write it down. I haven't started the ships log, mind you we haven't gone anywhere, I haven't wrote down the electrical design, and I haven't even started my personal journal. I am in danger of alienating everyone who was ever willing to give me the time of day, and worst, every night I go to bed worrying that we won't be ready to leave in 7 weeks. On top of that I keep getting guilted into helping others at the club, as well as work parties and general maintenance. I am about to lose it, but I am trying desperately to leave the shotgun in its rack. God give me the strength!

On the good news front, we have a working stove. It took a lot of tinkering and running around, but the propane is operational, tested, and safe. We have lighting in most of the boat, fans in the salon, and as you can tell by the picture above, we are rigged for sailing. Maybe tomorrow if the weather gods play nice with us we'll get her out on the bay to tune the rig.

I stitched the yankee with tenura lifetime thread. I've found while working on others boats that its what tends to go first, so I wanted to make sure that it was going to stay together.

I installed our new Garhauer rigid boom vang, what a beaut...... So glad we got this. For those who don't understand the need, the rigid boom vang allows us; with the outhaul, and halyard to control the shape of the mainsail. Also, it keeps boom from falling into the cockpit unsupported, while eliminating the topping lift, which can be a pain in the butt.
 We also decided to upgrade our sheets, see them above laying on deck. From the 3/8" ones that we had, to 7/16". It is much more comfortable in the hands.
 All the winches and cleats have been reinstalled. I sanded down the wood around the cockpit, and Serena put three coats of Cetol on them. Now that they are all back in their rightful place, we should be able to go for a sail.
We mounted our fishing rods. We have three, 1 heavy boat rod for big fish, and two medium rods for fishing in shore. Serena was worried that the rack and rods were going to be intrusive and look ugly, but it doesn't look too bad, and we hardly notice they are there.
New Hella Turbo fans. We bought these because they are considered the cream of the crop. 12V, silent, and very efficient. $69.00 + tax. They are not silent, not even close, so they better last and they better not use too much power; not that there is another option. The good news is that we had air movement last night while the humidex was in the 30's.

We are definitely not on schedule, but we are still planning on leaving mid Aug. Even if our timeline gets pushed to the end of Aug, we're still going. I can't foresee anything that would keep us here on the dock, and definitely not here for the winter.

Next entry............??

No comments:

Post a Comment