We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

New Home

This is it, our newest home. And although it kind of feels more like a vacation, we know this is it, and its slowly starting to sink in. When two people live in a space that's only 140 sqft, you have to be able to tolerate how the other smells.

Today was supposed to be the day where we took a good look at Vita, revised our lists, set down some priorities, and made some new shopping lists. However when I woke Serena up at 7:30, she wasn't feeling so well. Because we are close to the boat, we'll probably still get it done today, but its going to be a little delayed. It was hot yesterday, and the sun was beating down on us while set up the trailer. I think we got a little too much sun.

I ordered a bunch of spare parts for the engine, from Eastmar in Toronto yesterday. They wanted $734.00 for an original replacement alternator. That was enough to convince me to go for the upgraded Balmar 70 with external regulator. For an extra $30, I won't have to worry about charging our batteries. Especially since we have decided not to take the Honda generator. 

After all the work I went through making the box for the generator, we just figured that it weighed too much for the expected benefit. That also means that I will be leaving some of my plug-in tools behind, which will also save weight and storage complications. I guess I'll have to enjoy the trip instead of working the whole time, ahh, darn-it. Beer me!

I also found out yesterday that the primary fuel filter the previous owner had installed, was for gasoline engines only, and NOT for mounting in the engine room. Guess where it is. So I decided to bite the bullet and get the Racor 500MA. It is way over kill for our little diesel, but that just means a filter will last longer. Besides that, the filters are $13.00 vice $29.00 for the little Racor that is currently there. One bad batch of fuel will pretty much pay for the new fuel filter, just in discarded elements.

And that is our excitement. We are officially homeless. The money is in the bank, so there is no going back now. Like every new adventure, we pray that it comes out well, all the time fearing that it won't. But to be honest, I'm not sure I even care. We have little to no responsibility in this new life, and as weird as it feels to not be needed, it is some nice to be exempted from all of life's normal stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment